Noon’s $355m shopping spree

Noon’s $355m shopping spree

Share this article

  • Dubai’s biggest listed developer Emaar will sell its online fashion platform Namshi to e-commerce company Noon for $335.2 million.

  • Emaar, the iconic property developer behind the Burj Khalifa, purchased a 51% stake in Namshi for $151 million in 2017 from Global Fashion Group  before buying the remaining 49% in 2019 worth $129 million to $130 million.

  • Emaar has made two big deals in the past two weeks; it recently confirmed a deal to buy out the stake held by Dubai Holding in the operating company overseeing the Dubai Creek Harbour development. The size of that deal was DHS 7.5 billion.

Why it matters

The UAE has witnessed a significant surge in online shopping, accelerated further by the Covid-19 pandemic. According to the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the country’s e-commerce retail market hit a record $3.9 billion in 2020, growing 53% annually, accounting for 8% of the overall retail market. Amazon is the largest e-commerce player in the UAE, with net sales of $500m in 2021, followed by Namshi with $249m.


Get Smarter
About Investing

Join 35,000+ subscribers and get our 5 min daily newsletter on daily local and international financial news.
Get Smarter<br/> About Investing

Similar News